10.13.2009

Blissed Out In Nanchang



It is the end of the 2nd day with our Lilah, and she is amazing. In the morning, and yesterday, she goes to the window and looks for "mama", but she is easily comforted for a time until the next wave comes. In between, she is watching, copying, and so silly. She started her time with us chattering in Chinese to us, but now she realizes that we : a. don't speak Chinese or b. are mentally challenged adults. So now she pantomimes everything, grunts, and is SPEAKING ENGLISH! So far she says, hello, goodbye, cheerio, juice, Carol, mama, achoo! She copies everything I do, every l ittle mannerism I have.

Her disabilities, don't seem to affect her hands at all. She has, 4 fingers that are missing the last joint ,, but all have movement, and a fingernail at the end. Her function seems above average though. She can use her hands to open little boxes and cram cheerios in, and pretty much anything else.
She walks on her legs like a ballerina, and will try anything, if she takes a tumble, she just pulls her little sturdy body back up and tries again We are thrilled to see that she has more of the foot than we thought. She has ankle bones and heels! Dr. Martin said that if she has that much anatomy, she might only need inserts for her shoes.She will be bouncing off the walls when she gets the right inserts!!!.

I tried to send a video to post, but China wouldn't let me. Her foster mom did such a wonderful job with her, she picks up all little bits of paper or trash and brings them to me, when she eats, she will hold her hand out to me to wipe it. When it is time for a nap, she puts her cheek on mine and snuggles. She is a loved child it is clear. I feel like I'm standing on the shoulders of giants. So many unknown people who have loved and cared for our Dai Jie. We are thankful to everyone of them.

A word about Carol, I couldn't have done this without her! She has thought of every logistic detail that I couldn't focus on, from keeping my passport for me, telling me what time it is, making me eat! It is her "shoulders" I'm standing on too.

More soon....
Love,
Anne

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I am so happy for you and glad that her foster MaMA did a great JOB with her!

day by day said...

Just found your blog through Patricia. Congratulations on your precious daughter!! She is absolutely beautiful and seems to be adjusting very well!!

love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

She is soooo gorgeous and perfect... how blessed you are! I am happy to see she was well cared for.
Patricia

Kristin said...

How awesome!! I am so thrilled for you all! I look forward to the rest of your journey......but more so, seeing Lilah at home with Luke!

Super Mommy said...

Congratulations. She is totally gorgeous and sounds like she has a wonder personality full of spunk and life!

Arnold family said...

She is such a doll! I am so glad that she is healthy and so well taken care of. I can't wait to see more pictures!

Take Care!

The Arnold Family

J said...

You made me tear up. I feel so much love coming through that post.