A great moment yesterday, he snapped his head up and stared so alert when he heard my voice.
Talking to his big brother on Skype.
His perfect laugh.
Our little elf baby!A full belly
Secondly, today was a good day. Luke is doing better. He is clearly more alert, he is drinking loads of bottles filled with extra calcium and vitamins, and he is loving them. He coos like a baby racoon when he eats them.
He is starting to snap his head around when he hears our voices, and playing games like laughing at me when I try to make him finish a botlle he has decided he has had enough of. These little improvements are more precious than gold.
We spent the enire day in the hotel yesterday, really, our priority has been Luke eating, so we pretty much feed him and play with him until we can feed him again. We are keeping a list of each day and how much he drinks, and it feels so good to add another bottle to his list. We're feeling kind of stir crazy, but will be going on a bus trip "to the countryside" today, the doctor said to get Luke into the sun to soak up some vitamin D.
I guess the one thing I hope everyone gets is that as hard as this is (and it is hard), there is so much joy at every little step, every moment of recognition, every time he comes out of his shell.
We have had many great moments...
The Doctor has been wonderful, I keep forgetting to ask his name, but to me, he's just Doctor Wonderful, he's been honest while giving us an attack plan. It's felt very empowering. The other families have been supportive, our representative/guide/babysitter Evelyn is constantly looking out for us, and our beautiful little Pollyanna of a daughter Casey has been able to look at the brightside of every second, when we start to feel down.
My goal today is to try to find some Enfamil. There is a doctor in our travel group who says that the baby formula here is equivalent to "NestleQuick with out the chocolate". Even the doctor says he needs formula from America. It hurts to keep giving him Chinese formula when his little body needs nutrition so badly. Evelyn says that they don't sell it in China, so it will be a challenge. I know that we will have to give it to him slowly, but even a little bit will help.
Finally, yesterday we found a treasure in Luke's Gotcha Day clothes. In the second layer, a little red envelope was sewn into the inside sleeve in tiny hand stitches. Inside was a letter written in English! It is from Luke's foster mom. We won't tell everything it said, that is for Luke to know when he gets bigger, but we will say that she loves him, and she is grateful that we came to help him. Luke was LOVED! You can tell this, as weak as his little body is, he shows in so many ways.
Last night before he fell asleep between Mike and me, he kept looking first over to Mike and smiled, and then over to me and smiled, back and forth. Oh we love that boy!













15 comments:
Hi! I'm another CCAIWCP Mom and I've been following your journey. Please know that you and Luke are in our prayers! I was wondering if there is any way for us to get some Enfamil to you? Please email me at hawkfamily 2 @ yahoo . com (remove spaces) if anyone can think of a way to do this (whether through another family traveling within the next few days, or some other idea)!
~ Jen
When you get to Guangzhou, go to Jennifer's Place. She has a couple of shelves full of supplies that adoptive families have left behind. Last time we were there, the shelf included some unopened cans of Western formula. It won't help you in Nanchang, but you'll be in Guangzhou in a few days at least. Loved the picture of Luke looking up at his baba. So sweet!
Best Wishes,
Raine in NH
Fellow CCAI WCP mom
We have been following your journey online and fell in love with your little "Jun Bug". What a cutie!! I just wanted you to know that I have passed your story to my prayer group and we are praying for Luke and his health. Praying for you that God would give you the strength and guidance to help him. And may he continue to Bless your family.
Blessings from Colorado Springs
CCAI WC
"God supplies power to the weak"...Isaiah 40:29
I am so glad to start seeing the change in Luke. Check out Wal-Mart for US formula. It's not always there but I did see some on one of our trips (either 2004 or 2006). Be cautious though when introducing the US stuff. We did that with our first adopted daughter (mixed a bit more US everyday with the Chinese one) but she ended up throwing up everyday (several times a day) in GZ and on the plane home. She oculdn't handle the change. For our second adoption, I didn't change anything until we got home even though I know she needed something else. I wanted to be home safe and sound before possibly causing her to throw up!! Raine had a great idea though to check in GZ when you get there. It won't help now but will in a few days. Has he tried to have any solid foods at all? Congee might be worth a try. My guess is once he realizes food is available whenever he wants, he may start asking for some. :-)
Loved the new pics of him. Isn't it wonderful having a teen with you? Sometimes the kids relate better to the teens than to the adults. Plus, the teens are almost always on the up side of things!
Have a fun day today. Try and see some of Nanchang!!
Kristin in GA
CCAI WC mom
We're so thankful to hear that Luke is doing better. We are praying that he will continue to gain strength. Luke is precious and it is obvious that he is so loved!
He doesn't even look real lying on the bed sleeping so peacefully.... so tiny. May the milk nourish his little body while your love nourishes his little heart and soul. What a gift you have!
Patricia
Oh my, what a precious, tiny little angle Luke is! I can only imagine how scary it was to see how small he was, how thin... I so admire you for choosing to rise to the challenge of doing for and loving this little boy as best you can!! I am certain that having Luke in your family will be an incredible blessing in so many ways :)
I look forward to seeing him improve steadily in the days ahead, he's already come so far!!
Hi! I just found your blog through Ava Mei's and wanted to let you know Luke, and your entire family, are in my thoughts and prayers.
All the best to your family.
He is absolutely beautiful. Hang in there and keep up those bottles. If I remember right we were in Nanchang in 2006 and Walmart had some enfamil at the time. I think someone else said once in Guangzhou go to Jennifer's and ask. I'm sure you've asked others in your travel group but if you even see other families from some other group I wouldn't hesitate to go up and ask them if any of them have US formula they are not using. We gave ours to some other family on a previous trip and it came in handy. Good luck.
Another CCAI WCP member here. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Luke is absolutely beautiful, glad to know he is a little better! I echo all the previous posters ideas/thoughts regarding formula. As Jen said, let us know if we can help to get some to you from here.
Lisa
I did some checking and I'm told that Nestle formula's are better than local brands. The best one is Lactogen or Nestogen. The best China formula is called Wyeth Gold. The local brands are almost always not as good. So check any of the stores for the above brands and they should be better. LWB uses the Wyeth Gold for babies with special needs. I asked LWB what they use for nutrition programs. I hope this helps you out.
Jody another CCAIWCP mom.
Have been following along on your travels. Luke is such a cute fella. I know he will grow strong through your love and support. Know we are thinking of you.
Jenny G.
CCAIWC group
Hi Anne!
I just wanted to say hello, and let you know that my family and I will keep you and sweet Luke in our thoughts and prayers! Luke is so precious!!! I kow things will get better, and I'm so glad to hear that today was a better day!
Sara
Hi - I'm a fellow adoptive mom and have been following your trip journal avidly. Luke's pictures show a big difference already as he seems much more bright-eyed and animated from your loving care. I wish you all the best and send positive energy and many good thoughts.
Georgia
Luke's health took a turn for the better the moment he was placed in your arms. Your love for him is so obvious in your words. He is a lucky boy. Keep the very informative updates coming!
Sara Almstedt
Post a Comment