4.03.2008

On the Charts Baby!


We went to the doctor yesterday for a growth check. Our orthopedist says that Luke's two casts weigh about 1 lb. With that subtracted, Luke has gained about 3 1/2 pounds since we got him! he looks so different, so chubby and bright-eyed. He even has dimples now! Unfortunately, his weight still isn't on the chart, but the doctor assures us that since his weight plot line goes practically straight up, not to worry. His catch up growth is right where it should be. The big news for us is his head circumference. I, Anne, have been fretting about how his malnourishment the first year of his life may have affected Luke's brain. So far, so good, but I'm constantly watching for any signs of CP or delay in cognitive functioning. The doc measured Luke's head, Holy Smokes! It has grown so much that IT is on the growth charts! Yes our Luke's big fat head is in the 3rd percentile!


As for any other Luke updates, he continues to work extremely hard at making his hands work. Sometimes he will be very quiet for awhile and I will get worried and come see him. He will be working on one skill like the pincer grasp so hard and long that he is panting. He is quite delayed, but if, as we suspect, he didn't start using his hands until 6 weeks ago, he has come far. I sometimes have to remind myself that Luke's development is not in a book, he is his own self, with his own history. My friend Carol says she sees a bright light in him, and I agree. We can't wait to see the things he will do.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's starting to look like Mike!!!

Love you all,

K-

Ani said...

He is such a beautiful baby! Glad to hear he is doing so well.

J said...

My gosh! He really does look like a different kid.

Stefanie said...

He looks fantastic! LOVE those sweet cheeks and that sparkle in his eye!! He has come so far, so fast :)

Mei Mei Journal said...

Anne, That is great news about Luke's growth. Paige's head circumference is on the charts at 3% now, too! I hope they both continue to move up on the charts.
April