4.10.2008

Look Who's on the Road!!

Card Carrying Individual
Luke Loving Bubbles
More Bubbles!

While we talk about milestones that Luke is passing, we have to add our baby girl's big milestone today! Casey is on the road! Going to the DMV was so reminiscent of my youth! It is exactly the same as when I was 15 and 16 with the exception of two things : there is no stench of cigarette smoke, and everything is automated, including a lovely "female" computer voice telling us which number is being served. The rest, interminable lines, crying toddlers, and every single cross section of our society being collectively bored out of our skulls - SAME! Anyway, Casey now has her permit and is going to be a great driver. Luke played with my mom tonite while we took a spin in the nearby park. It was strange and satisfying feeling for me to have one child driving, and another in diapers....I don't really know what to make of it.



We unfortunately hit a road block this week with Luke's early intervention therapy. The initial evaluation was great. Knowledgeable people and a quick turn around. We were assigned a case manager who would contact all of Luke's therapists, and assign them officially to him. We never heard from her. We called her. She finally called back. She said she would come to our house so we could sign some papers which apparently were essential to Luke's care. She did not come. She did not call. We called the supervisor who asked us nicely, "Would you care to have a new case manager?" Yes please! After all, the name of the program is BABIES CAN'T WAIT! We have yet to hear from our new case manager and I am getting very antsy. I'm just guessing what Luke needs to be working on, and Lordy but he need to work on a lot. Also, I have this little problem. I can't stand for him to be sad. My friend Karen very wisely told me that unless I put him down and make him want a toy, how will he learn to crawl? We went to my elementary school last week, and had a fantastic time introducing Luke to all of my friends. Mike commented afterwards, about what an incredibly loving group of people I work with. So true. I am LUCKY!! I could kick myself for not recharging my camera battery, because it died when I tried to take the first picture. Anyway, Luke was lying on the floor happily playing with his toys, while I caught up with my friends. I, of course, was handing Luke every toy he dropped. Karen gently moved them just out of his reach, and he let out a little whine and started stretching for them. Good, right? Yes, but it took all of my sense of control and decorum not to knock Karen over and and hand my poor baby his toy back! So you see, I REALLY need the help of a developmental professional!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

way to go to your sweet girl and that Luke is just so handsome!

Beam Family said...

Congratulations Casey! Love the bubble pic.

Anonymous said...

He is looking great!!!!