7.01.2008

Health Update

AAAARGG Matey!
We went to the eye doctor this week, and got good news and bad news. The good news is that Luke's eyes are healthy, and he doesn't need glasses! The bad news is that both his eyes "wander" to the outside. Of course we knew this, and I was really worried about this visit, afraid that his eyes might uncover something bigger (like CP). I'm glad we are over this hurdle. So the plan for Luke's eyes is to have him wear a patch over alternating eyes for just an hour a day. Hopefully this will train his brain to use both eyes at once. The patches work for 30% of kids, and unfortunately the other 70% have to get surgery. Carol, who was at every therapy and every doctor appointment with me faithfully told the doctor to "get in line!" This will be Luke's 3rd surgery if the patching doesn't work. Let's hope it works! Luke's hernia and "boy problem" surgery is now scheduled for July 17th.
It really seems like all of Luke's hard work in OT, PT, feeding therapy, and speech therapy, is paying off! We have been zeroing in on strengthening Luke's core because all of the grasping and motor comes from a strong core. This means his trunk must be strong to support everything else. Sometimes I think that poor baby must have come to us with no muscle fibers at all! He has come such a long way! Now his body has a different feel to it, more toned and wiry, not so floppy. He holds on when you hold him, like I remember my other two babies doing. I'm so thankful I have had this summer to help him over the first hard part of adjusting to therapy and surgery. Also, we sure couldn't have done it without our friends and family both near and far, cheering us on. I am thankful for that everyday.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

wow great news-Mj does have one of her eyes that doesn't go all the way to the out ward but will easly go inward She does have Cp but her Dr said she had some sorta trama to the 6th cranial nerve. Hope the eye patch works-Cool colors!

Patricia said...

Well God bless his little heart! I pray the patch works... plus I think it's kind of cute. ;)
Patricia