3.02.2008

Luke At Home

Number 1 son and Nuber 2 son meet at last!

Well, life is finally getting back to normal, or whatever the new normal is going to be. We all slept through the night without any bizarre wide awake moments at 2:00am.





Things have been somewhat different. For starters, everyone offers to bring us food. Even people we barely know. I spent less on groceries this week than I have since I was a college student because people want to bring food and get a look at Luke. It's going to be a huge let down when that stops and we have to feed ourselves.





Speaking of feeding ourselves, Luke is having some great successes. We finally got it figured out; it's not food he doesn't like, it's spoons. On the plane ride home he ate nearly an entire dinner roll. Yesterday, he chowed down on Grandma's mashed potatoes. As soon as we tried to give him his favorite rice cereal out of a bowl, he became the clamped jaw menace he was back when we first got him. So, this morning, we baked him up a sweet potato, pretended to eat it ourselves, then stuck it is his mouth with our fingers. He devoured it. So, we have a solution, as goofy as it is. In Ethiopa, they have a tradition called Gursha, where it is the height of society to feed eachother with your hands (no I'm not making this up), we're just going to do things like the Ethiopians for a while, and hope to break the habit before he starts school.





Also he is making big strides on using his hands. Now that he has some toys that demonstrate cause and effect (what's this button do?) he is starting to realize that hands are for more than just staring at. I'll try to upload a video, but don't always have luck with that.





Finally, 2 baths, no crying. We have a clean child! If only he liked getting his teeth brushed. I guess that's for another day.





Tomorrow, I (Mike) have to return to one of my jobs. It's very strange. For three weeks our sole focus has been Luke and now we have to move on and return to the new normal. We're going to miss the adventure we have been having. But of course, now it's on to many new one's with our family of five.





It starts Tuesday with our trip to the pediatrician. We are both eager and dreading it. Eager to get help, dreading the possibilities of shots, poking and prodding and any news that might set back our solid food high. We'll keep you posted.


6 comments:

Patricia said...

That is the best video clip! lol I can't believe your kitty just sat there, and then participated! lol Glad you are settling in!
Patricia

Sara said...

Oh my gosh, that is so great! What a good kitty you have and another incentive for Luke to use his hands!
That farm toy has been a favorite at our house, too! Keep the videos coming!
Sara Almstedt

Beam Family said...

Congratulations on your wonderful son! I have enjoyed following your journey. Love the patient, helpful cat!

Becky

J said...

Go Luke go! I'm so happy to hear he's thriving. Go get some more sweet potatoes!!

Anonymous said...

You have the cutest son and the NICEST cat!! We are another CCAI WC family...Luke's story is an inspiration to us!! What an improvement!!

Kristin said...

Welcome home Luke! So glad to see the progress in food and reaching with his hands. I hope the visit to the doctor went well today.
Kristin in GA
CCAI WCP mom
two teens and two from Jiangxi