Well, she's gone. Our oldest has started her adult journey by going off to college. And not just the college down the road, the college 11hours by car away from home.
It's been painful. I hope she doesn't read this post, because I don't want her to feel bad, but letting your first child move on is like voluntarily removing a piece of your soul and sending it out the door. In our hearts we know it's the right thing, it's supposed to happen and it's good for her and everyone...so why does it feel soooo bad? In addition to sadness, we are full of pride. She's always been a homebody, and has made the choice to go pretty far away because she felt this school, and this program were a better match for her. So, she's off to a school where she knows no one and is likely the only person who has never experienced winter.
She nested and made her room exactly the way she wanted.
Think we'll be seeing a lot of this sign.
Here she is saying goodbye to her babies. They ask about her all the time. Luke is having the hardest time with it, looking for her a lot. Lilah seems to accept that people come in and out of your lives, and knows she will be back. Different experiences, different reactions.












7 comments:
I was going to write you today and ask how Casey was getting along. I'm glad things are going well. I know it must be so hard for you, though!
11 hours away? Oh my!
This post brought a tear to my eye, and I have yet to send my oldest to kindergarten...
My oldest is only in 7th grade... and I think about the day she will go... away. Already. Although I don't know exactly how you are feeling right now... know...my heart hurts for your Mama's heart right now. And at the same time.... I feel your pride shine through in this post. Monday my baby will start kindergarten....I'll be bringing the tissues!
It goes so fast! Our oldest is in 8th grade but it seems like we were just starting kindergarten yesterday. I know the next four years will be gone in the blink of an eye!
Best wishes to Casey as she begins her college adventure! My hat is off to her for going so far away from home. Mine is only an hour away....and it was really hard the first year. Now, as a sophomore, it's easier. But, I truly remember last year.
Lots of hugs to all of you as you adjust to having the oldest gone. It will get better, I promise.
Bless your hearts! It IS tough to let them go, but thank God, the world does seem like a smaller place thanks to cell phones, the internet, and modern transportation.
I SO know what you're going through... but how wonderful that she is able to connect with new friends through her love of acting :) Our Victoria has met some wonderful friends though the drama department at her college.
I bet it felt wonderful to be able to help her get her room all set... just the way she likes it. But it's so hard on a mama's heart to have her baby anywhere but HOME! Hope you're both doing better soon :)
Post a Comment