As you are probably aware, the overwhelming number of adoptees from China are girls. I don't know the exact ratio, but it's something like a gazillion to one. With that in mind, we have had this myopic focus on assuming that our child is going to be a girl.
But what if...
The idea of boys has been creeping into our psyche lately. The chances are limited, the odds are against it, but if we make the absolute assumption that the child will be a girl, we will probably end up with the one in a million boy, who will not be happy that his room is pink and that we call him Betty.
A boy. Hmmmmm. That will officially shift the hormonal balance of the house in favor of testosterone. What would that be like?
Okay, maybe not that bad.
It would be unexpected. But this week, we've decided to deal with the possibility.As you may have noticed, we changed the Blog name from Finding Our Girl, to Finding Our Baby (I wanted "Mind the Little Fontanel" but Anne wisely nixed the excessive movie references our blog is likely to be punctuated with).
We are also discussing name possibilities (okay, one last movie reference...)

"Nick! Nick's your buddy. Nick doesn't mind if you puke in his car."
Actually, Nicholas was to be Casey's name had she been a boy. Now, the name is coming back with a vengeance. Granted, nothing is written in stone, yet. But it could be.
Finally, we are altering our ides for the pattern of the babies room from pinks and rosebuds, to a more, gender-neutral bumblebee theme.
Again, all of this thinking is probably for nothing, the huge liklihood is our child will be a little princess; but, what else have got to do for the next 18 months but think...











5 comments:
I like the name Nick! Although it is highly likely that you will get a girl, it is smart to be prepared for the possibility of a boy. My husband refuses to entertain the idea and will not select a "boy name." He does know and agree that if we are referred a boy...of course we will accept! I'll be keeping up with your blog...let's hope the wait gets shorter.
I have two yellow crib sheets you can have, if they would match the bee theme. Also two sheets with farm animals. You can never have too many sheets! I'm keeping the sea turtles for sentimental reasons, though.
And how about the name Clara? I've decided I'm partial to it, too. And for a boy--how about Wallace? We could call him Wally.
Do you see how confused I am?? I've seen this blog... did I even know if it was yours? I have no clue! Blogland is big...
Thanks for sending the link again!
You can have some of Daniel's butch boy sheets, should you get a boy. And goodness knows, we've got plenty of boy clothes already set aside for Spawn of Millsmore.
I actually watched Sure Thing while in labor, grunting out "we're all good looking" during particular painful contractions. I guess I wasn't paying attention during the Nick scenes.
Oh yes Anne, The testosterone will be high in your house! but you will be blessed. Hope you hear something soon...
Patricia
Post a Comment